New this year, we’re opening the Safety Innovations Competition to all employers with a BWC policy number, regardless of their application or receipt of a Safety Intervention Grant. Plus, we’ve taken it one step further by allowing self-insured and public employers to participate, too.
We’ll invite the top five entries to display their innovation at the 2015 Ohio Safety Congress & Expo (OSC15) where we’ll award them with cash prizes ranging from $1,000 to $7,000!
Spread the word to employers you may encounter in your daily work. Maybe you know of one that got a safety grant, worked with one to create an innovative safety solution to a work process, or you just heard about a company at safety council that might have done something innovative to make their workplace safer. Encourage them to enter!
Click here to learn more about the competition and access the online application. Employers must complete the online application by Oct. 31, 2014.
A bit about the process
A committee of Safety & Hygiene representatives will review applications and select 10 semi-finalists. The committee will then conduct onsite visits to the 10 semi-finalists to see the innovations. From those visits the committee will select five finalists to display their innovation at OSC15 and give a presentation to a panel of three independent judges.
The finalists will be scored on the criteria below.
· Risk reduction – reduction in hazards, exposures and/or risk factors
· Innovation – amount of creativity employed in the development, approach or application of occupational injury/illness prevention/control measures
· Cost savings – return on investment/potential savings from the reduction in injuries/illnesses and other operational costs
· Potential impact – potential for use/implementation by other businesses and entities
· Presentation quality – clear definition of the problem, solution and impact
Any questions can be sent to: SafetyInnovations@bwc.ohio.gov. A logo and flyer are attached in case you’d like to promote this initiative on your organization’s website or newsletter.
Spread the word and help us recognize and award Ohio’s most innovative and creative companies.